Some easy tips to protect ants and other insects
Around the house:
- In spring, establish a wild corner in your garden.
- In summer, do not use any pesticides.
- In autumn, leave the dead leaves and branches.
- In winter, use less road salt.
On the balcony:
- Plant some native species, preferably flowers.
- Limit your use of outdoor lighting.
- Put out a little insect watering station.
In the kitchen:
- If you choose to eat meat, buy free range.
- Get your vegetables from organic farmers.
- Consider supporting a nature conservation group.
(This is a work in progress. If you can contribute something to this list, please reach out.)
Some conservation groups accepting donations
The UK-based Invertebrate Conservation Trust is dedicated to the small things that run the planet.
Friends of the Earth Europe
A network of 30 environmental organizations with thousands of local groups across Europe.
Active for over 100 years, the largest and most well-known nature conservation group in Germany.
Protecting forests and biodiversity is at the heart of the Rainforest Alliance’s mission.
A Portland-based international NGO aiming to protect invertebrates and their habitats.
(I have no affiliation with any of these organizations. Please do your due diligance before donating.)